Friday, July 27, 2012

Tarrying in Talkeetna, AK Day 2

This morning, I walked into town to finish up where I left off yesterday. It's a 10 min walk for those of us with long legs, 15 for short ;) It is another gorgeous clear day. I wanted to walk the trail to the end of town to another viewpoint of Denali. It is part of the Alaska Range and is the highest peak in North America. That's why so many mountaineers come here to hike to its summit.


And lo and behold, I not only got to see it yesterday, but today too! I am truly blessed :)


"The Great One" :)



What better way to celebrate than brunch at the Roadhouse! ;) Famous for their sourdough pancakes that are so large, they are actually dripping over your plate. Today's special was "berry barb" a medley of blueberries, blackberries, cranberries and rhubarb! Yes, they actually grow rhubarb here! I thought I was back in PA for a minute ;) I couldn't finish it all, but I put a heck of a dent in it and it was delicious! :)


I walked off my brunch doing the historical walking tour of the town. There were more old log trapper cabins still in existence.



And for my Mama, the fireweed is just now starting to bloom. The tops aren't filled out yet, but it is getting really pretty :) The natives go by this plant to determine when winter is upon them. The flowers start dying off from the bottom. When the dead reaches the top, it's winter time again!


I stumbled upon one of the shops I missed yesterday. Yeah! A chocolate shop! LOL 


And of course I had to indulge for later ;) I am used to Texas boasting big, but Alaska really has us beat!



Lastly, I toured the Mt. McKinley Climbers Memorial for those who were not fortunate enough to make it back down the mountain alive. It was located within the town's cemetery.


It was a very somber experience reading all the names dating back to 1932


A close up of the John Muir quote chosen to honor them. John Muir was a great advocate for the preservation of wilderness and his writings are beautiful in his appreciation of all things nature.


A memorial to one of the fallen.


I have so enjoyed my time here. It's like walking back in time. There is not even a gas station in town, but there is on the spur. I may go visit the Mountain High Pizza Pie before I head up the road to Denali National Park tomorrow ;)


6 comments:

  1. McKinley twice - you are one lucky gal!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I truly am Sue! And today is another sunny clear day again!

      Delete
  2. I'll say you are lucky and you got some great shots of it too. You can make some of those pancakes for us at the Oct GTG. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Colleen :) I don't think I could do those pancakes justice!

      Delete
  3. Hello Sharon, This is Connie Hepburn from your hometown. I have been enjoying your blog of Alaska. We just got back from our 4th trip so have enjoyed seeing the places we have seen through your eyes. Love the pictures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Connie! Thanks for following along :) This is my first trip to the inland, so I am like a kid in a candy shop here ;)

      Delete