Thursday, July 12, 2012

Valdez Valor


I am infatuated with the eagles here in Valdez. And they are plentiful!

Beth, Peaches and I had our morning walk before she went off to work. She graciously insisted I take her car for the day to view the area. Meghan, Captain Fred's sweet wife kindly provided me with a street map and off I went for an afternoon of discovery. 

I wanted to see the salmon hatchery and there has also been a black bear with four cubs spotted out that way. I didn't see them, but the eagles were everywhere! It's been raining lightly all day, so it's a little tough to get good photos! But that didn't stop me from trying.


A youth nearby. It takes 5 years for their heads and tail feathers to mature to white. The young look like a mottled brown.


I tried to get some in flight. 



Beautiful Solomon Gulch




The fish weir without any salmon running yet.



We are all waiting patiently, the eagles and bears for food and me to take all their pictures! I'm sure I'll get that opportunity before this trip is over. Won't be long now!

I've had an awesome time here in Valdez with my friend Beth. Thank you Beth, Captain Fred and Meghan for making my time here so special :) Bethers, enjoy the rest of your summer and I'll cya down the road again soon! :)

Tomorrow, Friday, 7.13 I'll be heading towards the Kenai Peninsula. I have some more RV Sisters to meet up with there! :) 

3 comments:

  1. Fantastic pictures Sharon. Rain or not, you did great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Colleen :) I appreciate all your kind comments :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the full on eagle...thinking of putting that on Ron's computer for wallpaper - he loves eagles. Travel safe!!

    ReplyDelete