Thursday, July 26, 2012

Alaska Wildlife Conservation Center


Sunday, I said cya later to my friends old and new. A huge thank you to Janet and Lester for your wonderful hospitality! I had an awesome time with you all! :)

I headed for Soldotna to take care of some business before heading north for the second half of my trip.

Then Tuesday, July 24 I stopped by the Alaska Wildlife Conservation Center. It is a nonprofit organization dedicated to caring for orphaned or injured animals. Often times, they cannot be released back into the wild and will reside there or be transitioned to another facility. It is a 200 acre complex that you can drive through and stop and read about each of the animals.

And they have some beauties!

Gorgeous bull moose lazing around in luxury :)


A wood Bison population that is being propagated to be released back into the wild next year.


A way too cute rescued porcupine eating a radish :)


What a face :)


A gorgeous Elk


Caribou or Reindeer. These guys have a heck of a time holding their heads up! ;)


This poor beautiful eagle had it's left wing shot off. Fishermen don't like them because they eat a lot of salmon. I'm glad he got rescued to here.


A stately owl


Two sweet sister lynx saved as orphans as infants.


A Sitka black tailed deer.


Black bear




A musk Ox that needs a good brushin! LOL!!! The natives use the fur to make warm clothing. I have never seen one of these before. Very different looking animal.



Brown bear/Grizzly. They are just so impressive! Some extra shots for my friend Margareta who loves bears! :)





This is a great facility. They really do impressive work here.



1 comment:

  1. Great pictures. Who would think a porcupine would look so cute.

    ReplyDelete