Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Alaskan Arrival!

Monday, July 9th I woke up to these two beauties :) We had coffee together before heading off on the final section of the highway to Alaska!



This section runs throught the Kluane (pronounced Klu-aw-nee) National Forest, with views that are absolutely breathtaking!




The road winds around Kluane Lake for miles.


Just as I was entering the Park, I saw my first brown bear! So I pulled off and had breakfast with him ;)




He was so fluffy! And if that wasn't enough, I spotted my first grizzly coming out of the other end of the park!     He was just a little guy and tried to get away from me, but I got him! What another banner day for wildlife :)


The Alaskan Highway has been a great drive as far as road conditions thus far with the exception of some "chip and seal" (read more chip and little seal ;) construction areas. Needless to say, my rig is a filthy mess! But this last section coming out of the park to the Alaskan border was pretty slow and painful. But that's Ok. The beauty of it all was well worth it!

I stopped in the Yukon one more time for diesel. I've gotten pretty used to the old fashioned pumps again. No credit card swipers in these little towns and usually only one gas station with another business or two. It's like stepping back in time :)


Before I knew it the border was before me with a welcoming sign back into the United States! :) 


So 10 days later and here we are! I gained another hour for the 3rd time change in a week. Still adapting to that, but I'm sure my sleep patterns will readjust just fine. 

Got through customs without a hitch and headed for Tok, AK for the night. The majority of the vehicles on the Alaskan Highway were either RVs or Tractor Trailers. I noticed a lot of Truck Campers. Ideal rig for this territory.


Tonight, I'm staying in an awesome RV Park that serves an all you can eat sourdough pancake breakfast buffet with reindeer sausage! LOL So I'll be indulging in that before heading on to Valdez today ;) Am hoping to wash my rig here before I leave, but its raining right now.


3 comments:

  1. Awesome photos. You have the neatest company for meals. Fluffy bears???? Hope that is a strong telescopic lens you are using.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey there, you gotta watch out for them thar bahrs, sistah! Hope you keep on having fun. Been raining over here on the Parks Highway, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. No worries sisters :) I never got out of my rig. Just pulled over, opened my window and put my 20X zoom lens to work ;)

    ReplyDelete