Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Along the Yukon

Today is a bitter sweet day (Sunday, 7.8.2012). My travel buddies will be heading in a different direction south to Hyder, AK. But first, before leaving Watson Lake, we visit the infamous Sign Post Forest and leave our mark! :)

This was all started by a homesick GI working on the Alaskan Highway in 1942. It has grown to over 72,000 signs now since then! Visitors are encouraged to add a sign when they pass through.


It is impressive! Margareta said there was only one row of signs when she was here 30 years ago.


We created a makeshift sign from my first Texas license plate. Signed our names and the names of our rigs with the date.  Any old sign will do, from pie tins to moose antlers to tires.


We left our mark too! :)


At the junction of route 37, we stopped for hugs and to say our cya laters. I made sure Margareta had her bear bells handy before she departed ;) LOL!!!


One last "Ready to Roll!" sign :)


And she's off!


Thank you Margareta for joining me on a part of this journey. I had an awesome time making memories we can talk about for years to come! :)  See you back in Texas in the Fall. Godspeed my friend!

I continued on the Alaskan Highway to Whitehorse. It was a beautiful and scenic section of the highway but overcast with on and off rain. I didn't see any wildlife today. 


Crossing the Continental Divide


I kept looking in my side mirror, but there was no one behind me. It seemed strange after 5 days of seeing this. Good thing I took this picture ;)



2 comments:

  1. traverse on my friend!
    great blog so far! am enjoying immensely!!! am in your shoes in my mind!
    smell the roses!

    later,,, J

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved this post Sharon. So glad you and Margareta got to spend part of the trip together and even have a joint "sign" in the forest. Neat picture you got in the rear view mirror!

    ReplyDelete