Thursday, July 26, 2012

Gold Panning in Girdwood, AK

After leaving the Wildlife Center, the Crow Creek Mine was just right down the road and I wanted to try my hand at some gold panning! ;)

This mine dates back to 1898 and most of the buildings are still standing. There is a nice quarter mile long walking path through the buildings and down to the creek to pan. I was issued my trusty equipment and off I went!

This is the map of the buildings, which are landscaped beautifully.



Loved the signs on this old truck. I even spent the night here.


The walking path along the buildings


  The mine owners home
  


Another old truck and a duck pond


And, if you get thirsty along the way...just drop your money in the bucket and pull a cold one out of the stream :)







This is a meat cache, which I have learned while I was here that there are still alot of natives here living off the grid. This is how they store their goods in the winter without a refrigerator.




The path down to the creek


And I'm ready to find some gold!. I was issued an initial bag of soil and guaranteed a find. So of course I did that first! ;)


And lo and behold, I found 14 gold flakes! Each flake is equivalent to 50 cents. So I made a total of $7.00! LOL!!! I dug some more soil out of the creek too after that, but to no avail. Think I'll keep my day job ;) 


But it was fun, and I had to do it just once! It was a beautiful walk in a picturesque setting :)





2 comments:

  1. So I guess this means you won't be funding a big RV gathering at a luxury resort for all your Pink FlamingGoes friends then. lol. Glad you had fun anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL Colleen! Sure would have loved to, but guess we'll have to settle for Canyon Lake ;)

    ReplyDelete